Friday 4 January 2013

New Year's Resolution #4: Be childish

Originally when I chose to add this to my list of resolutions, it was the first thing I thought to add. I stress over WAY too much. The last two years have been one giant stress ball of time, and it's just not healthy, but I feel like if I were more child like in my outlook then life wouldn't be so bad. I resolve to be childish.

Kids have all the fun, so I'm giving myself permission to be a kid. I will get lost in daydreams. I will have simple fun. I will play more. I will try to be more optimistic. I will take life day by day and live more in the moment. I will be silly. I will laugh at nothing. 

I will start reading this blog; she seems to have the right idea. I actually came across this woman's blog by accident while looking for a quote I heard once and wanted to use in this post (couldn't find it). It was fate. Clearly.

This last year, I tried my best to have a handmade Christmas. Anything I didn't make myself, I assembled from simple things and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single thing I didn't find at either Dollarama or Value Village. Phoenix is at such a fun age, and he loves to create things, so I couldn't resist putting together my favorite gift I made: a DIY Fort Kit. 



I sewed together the tote bag out of white flannelette, and drew on it with some fabric markers, but left it mostly blank so he can decorate it. 

Inside the bag: 
 - 3 flat bed sheets (2 Queen Sized, 1 King Sized)
 - Rope
 - Suction cups (for attaching things to windows)
 - Clamps
 - Clothes pins

So in the spirit of child-like fun, today Phoenix and I (mostly I) made a fort in our livingroom.

This is the back of the fort, as viewed from my chair.

Best. Fort. Ever.

...it even has two "rooms". 

Sand chairs are perfect seating for forts. Even Molly (the cat) has a place inside the cube.

He was over the moon when we told him he could sleep in his fort tonight.
I foresee the fort thing becoming a regular occurrence in our house.

Your turn Internet:
Tell me about your most favorite fort you ever built. 
Do you have any fort building secrets that you use?
Am I the only one that continuously tried to build a fort around the bathroom?

Still going...
- Jen


New Year's Resolutions: A Series
1. Finishing what I start
2. Make better friends(hips)
3. Meal Plans
4. Be Childish (You are here)

No comments:

Post a Comment